This month’s S’Hero is Sharon Jenkins! We first met at a writing conference and became instant friends! We share a love for seeing people be successful especially in the field of writing. Her expertise helps put writers on the map! Her easy quick laugh is delightful to ‘hang’ with and is contagious! You just can’t help but want to be around her!
Sharon C. Jenkins; the Inspirational Principal for The McWriting Services. Known as The Master Communicator and The Literary Midwife, she has mastered multiple forms of media communications in both writing and speaking. She has a Master’s Degree in Education, is certified in nonprofit management and is a certified Virtual Authors Assistant. She is an award-winning and best-selling author and has helped hundreds of authors birth or market their book babies.
1) What exactly is your business and what inspired you to build it?
The Master Communicator’s Writing Services recognizes the power of words as one of the most effective branding tools for your business, social cause, or book project. First impressions are lasting impressions and, as a business owner, non-profit organization, author or otherwise, it’s imperative to get it “WRITE” the first time. Our experienced experts can guide you in doing just that. We create best value with personalized services and a prescriptive project management approach specifically designed for each client.
2) What one thing do you do every day to move yourself forward and stay focused? Where do you find your inspiration? I say a prayer to set my priorities for the day. I also try to stay close to my reason “why,” for the business and its mission.
3) What do you do regularly to take care of yourself? How do you keep yourself emotionally balanced while you are pushing forward? I have started taking a daily nap. I also try to be mindful of my limits.
4) During the trying times of Covid 2020 and 2021, what did you do to sustain your business? What new ideas will you put to practice in 2022? I am more visible on social media and I do streaming. I am working on forming strategic collaborations because of the growth in the industry, especially for self-publishers. I am pinpointing specific industries to target for book publishing packages and we are offering an authorpreneur coach certification program.
5) What’s the best part and the worst part of your job?
I love seeing a book baby in it’s completed state and the joy on the new author’s face. The worst part of my job is when I face a client who devalues the services we provide and doesn’t maximize the marketing potential of their book.
6) What failure taught you the most and what was it, what did you learn?
I came from the nonprofit industry and my management style was that of a servant leader. Unfortunately, I started my business not charging the industry standard. I gave a lot of my services away at a discount and it soon became the expectation of new clients. This taught me that entrepreneurship and nonprofit management had some similarities, but a business does not last without being profitable. I also learned that God expects me to be true to my marketplace calling.
7) If you could go back and give yourself advice on life/work, what would that be?
Failing to have a plan will result in failure. In my early days I drifted through life following the advice of others, not really searching my heart for my true purpose. When I found the courage to do so, I’d missed some life changing opportunities.
8) If you had advice to give to someone else who was thinking of becoming an entrepreneur, what would that be? Know and stick with your personal vision and mission for life.
9) What did you have to overcome personally to be able to do what you do? Fear and the opinion of others.
10) Any last parting words? When God is on the throne of your heart, He has the remarkable ability to keep you mission focused and purpose driven if you are surrendered to His will. Stay God-Focused and you will never go wrong.
11) How can we help you best?
Sharon has been a featured blogger on Huffington Post, The Good Men Project, Self-Published Author, Afrovibesradio.com, and Book Marketing Tools. For more information, contact her at [email protected]
Her website is: www.mcwritingservices.comhttp://www.mcwritingservices.com